Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thank goodness...

Chris Crutcher chose The Hunger Games over The Lincolns. Even though I liked The Lincolns, and I liked the first Octavian Nothing volume (I'm in the middle of the relevant one), I would have a really hard time feeling interested in a Lincolns vs. Octavian battle. That would be like Anita Silvey's ultimate fantasy of what the Newbery committee meetings are like.

As for what I think will happen... for once things went my way, so I'm going to cheat and repost my own comment from the previous BOKB post:

I just don't know what Lois Lowry is going to think. She generally goes for simpler prose, herself (although I think we all know the prose in The Hunger Games isn't exactly perfection), but I can see how, having written a dystopian book, she might have strong feelings about them and find The Hunger Games lacking. Or she could say "The Hunger Games is twenty times more exciting than my book!" and leave it at that. Or she could say "Anastasia would read and enjoy Octavian Nothing, but she would tell Sonya, Daphne, Meredith, AND Steve Harvey to read The Hunger Games. Katherine would have already finished it, and Sam would be swiping it from under her pillow." (Obviously, it goes without saying that Myron would vote for Octavian Nothing.)

(dude, did I possibly just write the first-ever Anastasia Krupnik fanfic?)

1 comment:

Rhiannon Hart said...

How could you not choose The Hunger Games? My favourite book this year so far (we get things a wee bit later in Australia!)And I agree, the prose isn't perfect, but it had that "eat it up" quality, and Collins was so good at setting the scenes and descriptions. I can see the whole book in my head like it is a movie. And now they're making it as a movie. I almost don't want to see it...