Sunday, June 6, 2010

Book Challenge Update: The Sixty-Eight Rooms and Wrap-Up

Technically I have another hour left in my 48, but I'm going to close my 48-hour Book Challenge after this post.

But first, The Sixty-Eight Rooms. Ruthie and Jack discover a magical key that allows them to shrink down to five inches tall and explore the Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago. I haven't seen the real thing, but this is a real exhibit -- sixty-eight perfectly detailed, miniature rooms representing various countries and historical periods.

Of course, there are similar books already out there -- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and Night at the Museum both come to mind, as well as The Diamond in the Window, which has kids both shrinking to dollhouse size and entering other time periods. But it's still a well-told and engaging story.

Now for the statistics.

Since last post: Time spent reading, 2 hours, 15 minutes. Time spent blogging: 10 minutes.

Total accumulated time: 15 hours, 35 minutes.

Number of books read: 4 entire novels. 1/3 of Unwind, which I had started reading before. One chapter of a non-fiction book. One poem and several speeches/scenes from Shakespeare.

I love to read, but I have to admit that this was pushing it a bit for me. Maybe if I'd spread it out a little more, it would have helped. It's weird, because most weekends I'm wishing I could just sit around and read. I guess all I really want is a few solid hours, and maybe I can make room for that.

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

Well done! By the end of it, I too wasn't sure I really wanted to be reading, and the moment my time was up I ran outside to work in the garden! Which isn't to say it wasn't great fun, but it's not how I want to spend every weekend!

MotherReader said...

You're welcome! Thanks for playing!

LaurieA-B said...

Oooh, I saw some of the Thorne Rooms when I went out to visit Wendy in April. Had to drag myself so I wouldn't miss my plane; the downstairs of the museum is full of great stuff. I'll put this on my summer reading list.

Carin Siegfried said...

When I went to Chicago last month I made an effort to see the 68 miniature rooms because of this book - although I haven't read the book yet! but the exhibit is really cool. It's a permanent exhibit so it's always there (no rush).

CLM said...

One of my favorite shrinking into dollhouse books is the Five Dolls in a House series by Helen Clare (who also wrote The Return of the Twelves as Pauline Clarke). They are for a fairly young audience but at that age one really does wish one's dolls would come to life. Later, after reading Knight's Castle perhaps, one realizes it might not work out so well.

Kim Allen-Niesen said...

I spent yesterday doing exactly that, spending a few solid hours reading. It was a wonderful Sunday afternoon, but entire weekend, I agree would feel a bit much and change an activity that was restful with a bit of feeling like I was playing hookey, to more of a chore.