Thursday, June 11, 2009

Jewish American Girl

I loved American Girl dolls from afar when I was a kid. They were a new thing, and there was only Kirsten, Samantha, and Molly. (Even then, I thought it was weird that all the dolls were white--especially when they added a fourth white doll, Felicity, instead of the Filipina doll I thought they should create.) I read lots of the books, and while they're mostly pretty boring, I have to recommend Molly Saves the Day as being an excellent and accurate summer-camp story. And I'm sure many of you have the same story--I loved poring over the catalogue and admiring all the accessories. I was especially intrigued with their school lunches, which all looked delicious.

I think I was fourteen when I finally got Molly for Christmas.

I've only sort of kept up with new innovations in American Girl since I've grown up; the decrease in quality after Mattel took it on took away a lot of the charm for me. Laurie and I did visit American Girl Place in Chicago, though. It was fascinating to finally see the catalogue accessories in real life, but mostly I just felt like I wasn't CLEAN enough to be in that sterile environment. Also, watching the young women style doll hair at the doll hair salon, I thought that they must totally love their jobs.

Anyway, you may have heard--it was reported in the New York Times--that American Girl has come out with a Jewish historical doll, Rebecca Rubin. There's been a lot of interest and argument in the children's literature world about Rebecca--much of it from people who aren't terribly familiar with the American Girl franchise, I must say. (I don't expect much of ANYTHING from American Girl books, and I don't know why anyone would.) Also, it always bears repeating, including to me: "Your experience is not universal." I've yet to hear about any "inaccuracies" in regard to Rebecca that are really serious or even proven; one scholar will say one thing, and another will totally refute it. But seriously: we're talking about Mattel. It's not like we're choosing a Newbery winner. THAT is serious stuff.

So I was really happy to read this review in a Jewish publication, which I think has a nice balance and a positive attitude that I suspect is not misplaced. Thank you, Susan Ellman!

1 comment:

LaurieA-B said...

I saw the books the other day and they look good. Also, Rebecca in the illustrations looks very different and much more Jewish than the doll. See illustration on this post http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1790000379/post/1920045592.html